Tate Britain is currently staging an exhibition of UK artist Gary Hume and I was inspired by his use of vivid colors to create glossy abstract paintings of everyday objects. Hume’s method of layering paint and juxtaposing unusual colors gives otherwise minimal compositions meaning beyond their initial appearance. In the Fashion world, Erdem Moralioğlu played with “uncomfortable color combinations” for his S/S13 show resulting in amazing neon embroidered dresses. An easier way to pay homage to this vivid way of dressing is through accessories as bags, shoes and jewelry can weave effortlessly among other pieces in your wardrobe. Look out particularly for glossy patent leather as it gives any outfit an extra level of sophistication. Like Hume, I won’t be shy in pairing bright colors (pink & orange and green & yellow work well) for effect!
For more inspiration, check out my Pinterest board: neon brights.
- Neon lace pumps in Coastal Lime – J.Crew. £252.36*
- Wide Woven Bangle by Marc by Marc Jacobs. £37 (on sale from £75)
- Sophia Webster | Lola neon yellow pumps | NET-A-PORTER.COM. £195
- Patent perforated flats in Pink | Gap. £34.95
- Fluoro Friendship Bracelet | Bex Rox at Boticca. £45
- United Nude Eros Curved Neon Sandals | SHOPBOP. £89.50*
- Kaleidoscope Leather Barrel Bag – Zatchels. £50
* Prices in GBP are approximate (converted from USD)